When you hear of koalas, images of those furry, cuddly, big eared, leaf eating bear-like animals come to mind. Surely, you wouldn’t imagine them as a ripped and massive mascot of a flagship pre workout, right?
Well, Staunch Nation’s design team on Koala Freak pre workout thought it was a good idea and personally, I like it. It gives the product that unique and signature Australian feel to it. However, we’re not here to talk about the cool bottle design.
Can Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout prove to us that koalas can be a symbol of swoleness or is this all just a funny marketing tactic? Read my Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout review to find out!
About Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout review
Staunch Nation seems to be one of Australia’s biggest and most reputable supplement companies and it’s largely due to its founder Calum von Moger. Calum is an Australian professional bodybuilder, YouTuber, and actor. He has an illustrious bodybuilding career, getting first place five times in the eight times he’s professionally competed.
- No prop blends. If you’re so good, you shouldn’t have to hide anything.
- Huge stack. Damn, that’s a long list.
- No creatine. All those ingredients and none of them creatine.
- Funny mascot. This has to be the most Australian supplement mascot ever. Unless they also have a kangaroo supplement.
Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout Review: nutrition label
Other Ingredients: Natural & Artificial Flavors, Sucralose, Malic Acid, Calcium Silicate, Silicon Dioxide, Citric Acid, Blue #1 Lake
Mix 1 scoop of STAUNCH PRE KOALA FREAK with 8-12 ounces of water, 15-30 minutes before exercise.
Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout Review: ingredients list
Whoa, bro. Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout ain’t kidding when they said this koala was a freak! Including vitamins, we have 18 ingredients in the formula! This is one big koala, bro. Seriously though, I’ve learned to take extra caution when it comes to big formulas and while I do appreciate the fact that Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout ain’t no prop blend, it still makes me skeptical on how all of those ingredients will lead to massive gains.
We have a full roster of B vitamins bro. They may seem like absurdly high dosages, but those dosages are just about right considering B vitamins are the first vitamins to run low during strenuous exercise. You shouldn’t worry about B vitamin toxicity or overdosing on it; they’re all water soluble and will all come out of you when you make that trip to the men’s room after a hard day’s training.
I would also like to point out that the vitamins they used are all in their most premium forms meaning, your body’s ability to absorb them will be at its most efficient. The fact that they have this much detail on their vitamins is not short of impressive my fellow lifter. It actually is making me feel excited about the rest of the ingredients.
I love what I’m seeing with this complex. One look and it tells me it’s more of a citrulline and citrulline support blend.
- Citrulline Malate. We got a massive 6 gram dose of the industry’s best pump-inducing, nitric oxide-mass producing ergogenic. Citrulline malate is the most bioavailable form of citrulline. This enhanced bioavailability makes it so that no milligram is ever wasted. More citrulline uptake means more nitric oxide production. More nitric oxide leads to more pumps and bulging veins via improved vasodilation.
- Arginine AKG. This is no ordinary arginine, bro. That AKG makes a whole worl of a difference. AAKG, as it’s popular known, is a salt of arginine and alpha-ketoglutaric acid. While it’s a really good ingredient that supports citrulline malate’s pump benefits, it’s also known for benefits on insulin sensitivity, liver health, and even help with the man down there. *wink wink*
- Agmatine Sulfate. Another pump-support ingredients, agmatine’s positive effects on nitric oxide has been known for decades. While it’s not as good as citrulline malate when it comes to the actual pump, the fact that we have it at 750 mg is a good sign that says you’ll have big and long lasting
- Norvaline acts as a limit breaker when it comes to nitric oxide production. It’s all thanks to its ability to inhibit arginase aka the very thing that destroys aginine which consequently leads to lower nitric oxide production. With Norvaline, your pumps will be free of their chains.
After pump comes the actual strength and muscle endurance. Like the previous blend, I’m actually really seeing good stuff in here.
- CarnoSyn Beta alanine. We have beta alanine at its most premium form of CarnoSyn. Beta alanine is known to greatly improve endurance, delay fatigue, and even support muscle recovery after a tough and grueling workout session. The 3.2 gram dosage is the industry standard as far as blends are concerned.
- Betapure Betaine anhydrous. Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout used a rare premium form of betaine as Betapure, a brand that guarantees 99% betaine. Betaine is known as a post workout due to how it helps with muscle recovery, but as part of a pre workout, it acts as a form of strength and pump support. Yes, it does two good things at once, although not to the level of beta alanine and citrulline malate. The 2 gram dosage passes the blend test.
- ElevATP (peat, apple extract). This is something you don’t see every day. ElevATP is a complex that helps support ATP synthesis. ATP synthesis is what your body does when it’s trying to convert a lot of your nutrients into cellular energy. This is particularly beneficial for your muscles especially when they’re doing their best to lift past your limits.
As the name implies, this is Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout’s source of energy as well as mental edge over the iron you’re about to both worship and dominate.
- Choline bitartrate. Okay, this could be Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout’s first F up since we started the review. Choline in bitartrate form is the cheapest and least bioavailable way to get your daily dose of choline. Although to be fair, they did add 1 gram of the stuff plus the fact that this is more of an accessory ingredient. Still, it kinda sucks that they ruined their premium rhythm.
- Caffeine-Theanine combo. Ah yes, every stim-user’s best friend. We have a whopping 360 mg dose of caffeine, but don’t worry about the side effects. Theanine’s got you covered coming in with 360 mg too, completely nerfing caffeine’s side effects and possibly even preventing them.
- Higenamine is like a milder form of synephrine in that it works on activating adrenaline hormones to burn fat for energy, but in a less efficient, not-so-risky-for-your-heart manner. That 75 mg dose is actually pretty good.
- Another synephrine-like ingredient, but this time with really little studies to back it up for fat burning and energy.
- Huperzine A. Huperzine A is the last ingredient in Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout’s formula, but perhaps it’s the best ingredient to finish last due to really tiny dosages it can work. At 300 mcg or 0.3 mg, it’s really tiny, but it’s working dose is actually 200 mcg. What it does for you is enhance mental energy and help your brain produce more brain cells
Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout Review: formula analysis
I’m really happy with what I saw in my Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout ingredient analysis. I was highly skeptical at first, seeing that I reviewed other big-formula supplements that got me disappointed. I have next to no disappoints with Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout and I’ll tell you why.
- We have high quality shit here, bro. The ingredients they put are in their best or most efficient forms. Save for the choline bitartrate, every ingredient passes the premium-feel test. High quality ingredients mean high purity and bioavailability.
- Each ingredient is adequately dosed. I barely see big-formula supplements adequately dose each of their ingredients, but when I do it’s a sight to behold.
- Tons of potential. Combine the two traits I mentioned and we have quite possibly one of the best pre workouts we’ve ever seen!
Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout has a lot of pumps to give with it’s high dose citrulline malate and its pump support ingredients. This makes each pump feel huge and last long. I also want to point out that we barely see the kind of citrulline dose we see here, so that’s something worth praising.
The strength and endurance you’ll be getting from Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout are also really high given that each ingredient in their Strength/Performance Complex are all branded and high dosed. You will get all the strength you want from these three ingredients.
The big blast of energy from caffeine shouldn’t result to bad side effects like jitters or crashing because theanine mitigates those side effects pretty well. The Higenamine-Hordenine combo should help your thyroid produce more adrenaline and other fat burning hormones to further enhance energy support.
Huperzine helps balance the rather poor addition of choline bitartrate in Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout’s otherwise impressive ingredient label.
It’s the white elephant in the room so I might as well say it: Yes, it doesn’t have creatine and you’re probably tempted to put it in here somewhere as a really powerful stack. And you know what, you can do that because I might do that too.
However, this impressive formula can do away with creatine. And in many ways, the lack of creatine helped Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout design this kind of huge yet functional formula.
So, does Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout work?
Oh it works on all angles, bro. You got massive pumps, incredible endurance, unparalleled energy, and a good dose of focus on the side.
Does Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout have a lot of caffeine?
It definitely has a lot of caffeine especially since I always recommend a max of 250 mg per serving to prevent tolerance as well as mitigate the side effects. However, the addition of an equivalent dosage of theanine can make caffeine easier to tolerate.
So, is Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout any good or just hype?
The hype is well justified, bro. This koala is definitely one freak of nature.
Benefits and side effects
Think of Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout as one of the rare supplements out there that actually cares about what you want in a pre workout, especially when it comes to muscle growth. Granted it doesn’t have creatine, the ingredients in its Strength/Performance Blend all work on muscle recovery in a similar way creatine does.
Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout is for the kind of user who is into huge servings, big stimulants, good pumps, and has knowledge of quality brands and premium forms. I mean, you don’t just add branded ingredients and super bioavailable ingredient forms if your market’s a bunch of newbies or stim-addicted users.
The real cause of worry is usually caffeine given that we have it at 360 mg. However, the 360 mg theanine should help fight off some of jitters, headaches, and even the crash. It depends on how sensitive you are to caffeine, but Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout thought ahead just in case.
Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout Review: pros and cons
- Transparent blend. Don’t need a prop blend with all the good stuff.
- Big dosing. Not one to shy away from potency.
- Intelligent formula. Didn’t add anything weird or just for the sake of adding.
- Theanine + Caffeine. Pre workouts barely do this 1:1 ratio anymore.
- High quality shit. Either branded or in the best form.
- No creatine. I know a few guys who would definitely complain on that.
- Too big a formula. Having many ingredients can have weird side effects.
- A bit pricey. Quality ain’t cheap, bro.
- 1 Can (30 servings): $49.00
- Available online and in retail stores
- Flavors: Peach Mango, Blue Baz Berry, Aussie Apple, Pina Koala
Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout Review: summary
Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout is one of the biggest formulas I’ve ever seen, but it amazingly relieves me of my skepticism when I saw how it was built.
Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout’s formula is comprised of only the good kind of ingredients that boost all aspects of your body to help get you that physical and mental edge against the iron. Just about every ingredient is in their most bioavailable form and comes in a really good dose to maximize potency.
The highlights of the formula for me are the huge dosing for citrulline malate and the caffeine-theanine combo.
The only downsides to it is the potential for unknown side effects with that many ingredients and the lack of creatine which many lifters can’t go without. The price is also a bit steep, but if you can tolerate those almost insignificant nitpicks, Staunch Nation Koala Freak pre workout is the best kind of pre workout for you.