We know that the only way to maximize our bodybuilding returns is to use the best workout supplements available—but which ones to choose?
Let’s face facts.
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of different training products on the market—all stating they’re essential for the serious bodybuilder. As many of them work in completely different ways—it’s damn tough to know exactly which ones to take.
You’re with me on that, right?
Using the correct supplements for your exact needs means that you achieve phenomenal returns—not wasting your money on superfluous products.
I’m going to make it all clear.
This article brings you the top 10 best workout supplements on the market.
Furthermore, it explains how they work and the results they achieve—enabling you to select the ideal product for your bodybuilding targets.
Stick with me bro—you’re going to read the truth that no other article will tell you.
Best Workout Supplements
Here are the most potent, effective, and scientifically researched products available.
1. Testosterone Boosters
If you want a complete all-rounder—testosterone boosters are the best workout supplements. Meaning, if you don’t want to be taking numerous different pills every day, they’re the ideal choice.
These products work by elevating the amount of testosterone in the body—the original and best natural steroid. Since T-levels drop as we age—replenishing these stores is essential for the serious bodybuilder.1 2
Boosting testosterone has the powerful effects of:
- Improving bone strength—essential for lifting the heavy plates.3
- Promoting muscle growth by increasing protein synthesis.4
- Raising strength and power.5
- Providing a defined physique by assisting with fat loss.6
These incredible returns are achieved naturally. These supplements don’t include any testosterone itself. Instead, they work by:
- Stimulating the testes to produce more testosterone.
- “Freeing” testosterone that’s unusable as it’s tied to SHBG (sex hormone-binding globulin).
- Preventing the act of aromatization (where testosterone turns into estrogen).
There are many of these products available on the market—but without a doubt, the most potent example available is Testogen.
This T-booster contains only scientifically proven testosterone-enhancing ingredients—and in doses that will send returns off the scale.
One more thing. Testogen is completely side effect free—well, apart from creating insatiable sex-drive.
- Read our Testogen Review
- Visit the Testogen official website
- Read our article on the best testosterone boosters on the market.
2. Whey Protein Isolate
Definitely one of the best workout supplements—which is why it’s probably the most widely used of all bodybuilding products.
Sourced from milk, these powder supplements are mixed into a protein shake and deliver a serious dose of protein to the body. That is, amounts which would be difficult or inconvenient to obtain from diet alone.7
You already know that muscles require protein to build—it’s essential. Whey protein isolate includes all nine essential amino acids (those that the body cannot create) that both kick-start and fuel the muscle growth process.8
The phenomenal benefits achieved from whey protein isolate are:
- Astounding muscle gain when combined with resistance training.9
- Fat loss—protein has both thermogenic and appetite-suppressing properties.10
- Giving a shredded appearance—by improving the fat–muscle ratio.
- Side effect free.
- Continuing muscle growth post workout.
Just one word of warning. Always select the isolate form of whey, not concentrate. Isolate has all the fat and lactose removed—making it more potent, less fattening, and easier on the digestive system.11
This is one of the best workout supplements for guys looking to take lifting performance to the absolute limit.
Found in meat and also synthesized by the liver—this compound is mainly used due to its ability to increase stamina and raise the performance of the muscles.
Each and every rep we push out requires ATP (adenosine triphosphate). However, with each muscle contraction—stores become depleted and you can’t lift anymore.12
But supplementing with creatine replenishes your ATP levels. This means that you can lift for longer, push the muscles harder, and therefore build more muscle mass.13
The key benefits of using these supplements are:
- One of the best workout supplements for increased strength and power.14
- Improved stamina and endurance by lowering muscle fatigue.15
- Elevated anabolic state.16
Research shows that creatine is completely safe even when used every day.17
Branched-chain amino acids BCAAs are one of the best workout supplements for guys wanting to really increase muscle growth.
There are three BCAAs—leucine, isoleucine, and valine.
These important amino acids target the muscle cells directly—giving them the fuel they need to rapidly accelerate mass growth in resistance-trained guys.
Here’s how these three “big boys” work:
- Leucine—the most important amino acid as it kick-starts muscle protein synthesis.18
- Valine—works as a fuel source for the muscles and is also responsible for their repair.19
- Isoleucine—elevates the oxygenation of muscles by boosting hemoglobin, allowing them to rebuild faster and raise endurance.20
BCAA supplements are completely safe—although they’re not recommended for guys suffering from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.21
5. Pre Workout
You probably already push yourself to the limit in every workout—but these are the best workout supplements to raise the bar even higher.
Consumed around 30–45 minutes before your training session, these potent products are designed to:
- Elevate energy levels.
- Reduce the onset of fatigue.
- Boost stamina and endurance.
- Raise mental focus.
- Create shirt-splitting pumps.
- Heighten strength levels.
- Reduce recovery times.
Each pre-workout will differ in its formulation—although the best examples on the market include the serious workout-enhancing ingredients of:
- Citrulline—elevates nitric oxide levels for improved strength and pumps.22
- Caffeine—a potent stimulant which boosts energy and increases focus.23
- Creatine—to heighten the muscle-powering ATP.
Although mostly side effect free—some pre-workouts contain excessive amounts of caffeine that can cause headaches and nausea. Ideally, look for those which contain around 150 mg of this stimulant.
Want to learn more?
These are the best workout supplements for any guy who’s dedicated to his training.
Some guys consider multivitamins a “girly” supplement. But nothing could be further from the truth.
Extreme resistance training and the resulting rebuilding/recovery time places a lot of stress on the body. When combined with a diet that’s muscle-centric—it can lead to us lacking in the certain vitamins and minerals that we require—not only for an awesome physique but also for general health.
The truth is, if you’re sick, you’re not going to be hitting the gym.
The best bodybuilding multivitamins provide the benefits of replenishing lost minerals, enhancing muscle growth and recovery, and elevating well-being.
Key compounds to look for are:
- Vitamin B1—ensures carbs are utilized for energy, therefore boosting workout stamina and preventing them from turning to fat.24
- Folic acid—enhances red blood cell formation to oxygenate muscles—meaning larger growth, increased stamina, and accelerated recovery.25
- Vitamin C—essential for healthy cartilage, muscles, and tendons.26
7. Beta Alanine
If you find your muscles burning and cutting your sessions short—this is one of the best workout supplements for you.
With each and every rep, our ATP stores begin to deplete. When they get too low, lactic acid begins to build up, leading to acidosis; at best it’s painful, at worst it means muscle failure.27
Beta-alanine can prevent the buildup of lactic acid—meaning that your training sessions are not curtailed.28
However, don’t just assume that beta-alanine’s only function is to reduce muscle fatigue and enhance stamina. This powerful supplement can:
- Improve recovery times—by lowering oxidative stress through the production of carnosine.29
- Enhance performance—a recent study illustrated that energy output efficiency of athletes undergoing HIIT (high-intensity interval training) was vastly increased.30
Beta-alanine can cause a “tingling” feeling (paresthesia) in some guys. This is completely harmless and only lasts for a couple of hours.31
8. Fish Oil
Although often ignored by bodybuilders—this is one of the best workout supplements for performance, results, and recovery.
Fish oil is extremely rich in omega-3 fatty acids. The two key players being EPA and DHA (eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acid).
Not only do these two fatty acids have numerous health benefits—they’re powerful tools for dedicated gym guys too. Research has indicated they can:
- Elevate concentration, mood, focus, and determination.32
- Heighten muscle protein synthesis building impressive mass.33
- Rapidly reduce post-training recovery time by lowering inflammation.34
- When combined with training, increase fat loss and improve cardiovascular health.35
9. Fat Burners
There’s little point working like a beast in the gym if that hard-earned muscle is going to be hidden under layers of fat. These are the best workout supplements for guys either going through a cutting cycle or wanting to drop unwanted belly and chest fat.
The very best examples of these products are designed to hit numerous areas of pound-shedding, including:
- Working as an appetite suppressant.
- Boosting the metabolism to burn fat stores.
- Inhibiting the formation of new fat.
- Accelerating fat breakdown—so it’s more easily expelled from the body.
Some of the most potent ingredients you’ll find in these supplements are:
- Cayenne—a thermogenic that raises metabolism and can prevent carbs from becoming fat.39 40
- Chromium—inhibits new fat formation and can alleviate hunger.41
- Garcinia cambogia—an amazing compound which stops new fat from being formed, suppresses the appetite, and burns calories.42 43 44
As guys and girls bodies work in different ways—it’s wise to select a fat burner designed specifically for each gender. Two of the best I have found are Leanbean and Instant Knockout.
You can also check out our article on the best fat burners for women on the market.
Leanbean is an awesome female weight loss aid used by the model Bree Kleintop. It’s the easiest way to obtain that beach-ready body.
Instant Knockout is the ideal supplement for guys who are looking for tight definition, increased vascularity, and an immense all-around shredded appearance.
A product that’s rapidly growing in popularity—making it a worthwhile inclusion in this best workout supplements list.
HMB (β-hydroxy β-methyl butyrate) occurs naturally in the body through the metabolization of leucine—although only around two to 10 percent of this amino acid is actually transformed.45
By working directly on the muscle cells, research has shown that this potent metabolite can:
- Vastly increase muscle power.46
- Reduce the occurrence of DOMS (delayed-onset muscle soreness).47
- Lower muscle breakdown.
- Heighten resistance training performance.48
A 2000 study indicated that HMB is completely safe, and may even improve cardiovascular health.49
This article included the 10 best workout supplements available today.
However, it’s impossible to take them all.
While every single product has its own benefits, there are two that I believe are worth concentrating on, if you’re looking for maximum returns.
Firstly, testosterone boosters. As we’ve seen, these supplements cover so many aspects of training, from muscle gain through to recovery—they’re invaluable.
Using the most powerful T-booster on the market, Testogen will take your training results off the scale.
Secondly, for that ripped or magazine-cover appearance, I’d suggest fat burners. Making weight loss simple, these supplements can give you an awesome physique in a ridiculously short space of time. The two best around are Instant Knockout for the guys and Leanbean for the girls.
Take my advice—and your workouts will deliver more returns than you can imagine.